18 Shocking Facts about Harley Davidson
1, The first Harley Davidson motorcycle was built in a 10 by 15 foot shed in 1903.
2. They were originally known for being a “quiet-ride”
3. The company was able to survive the Great Depression.
4. Their V-Twin engine design was actually stolen from Indian Motorcycle.
5. Harley Davidson invented the “Choppers” by cutting the fenders down to make the bikes lighter and faster.
6. The Harley Davidson was the first motorcycle to average over 100 miles per hour making it a favorite for racers.
7. Harley Davidson started providing motorcycles to more than 40% of police departments across the United States.
8. The Harley Davidson 45-degree motor was designed in that manner to produce a distinctive growl.
9. If you remove the muffler from a Harley Davidson, it will only take 15 minutes to produce permanent hearing loss.
10. Harley Davidson makes over $250 Million per year on selling clothing alone.
11. Harley Davidson Motorcycles were used in World War I by the US Military.
12. Harley Davidson Motorcycles were once made in Japan.
13. Green Harley Davidson’s are said to be bad luck because they would often get beat in races by British Racers with green bikes.
14. Harley Davidson was able to survive the Great Depression because they introduced the 3-wheel motorcycles which were primarily used as delivery vehicles.
15. In 2006 a Harley owner reported his Harley stolen. Six years later the bike was found buried in the owner’s backyard.
16. Harleys are known to be one of the least reliable motorcycles on the market.
17. AMF Bowling Company once briefly owned Harley Davidson in 1969 until it was purchased back by the original owners.
18. Harleys are the least stolen motorcycles.